Habits or Addictions…
As humans, we’re hard-wired to seek pleasure and avoid pain. We would prefer to be happy, excited, and joyful than tense, scared, and depressed.
One of the quickest, and most immediately effective ways to change our emotional state is by consuming something. This can be food, alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, cocaine or another drug.
- When we’re tired we want an upper – a stimulant that’ll keep us alert and high functioning.
- When we’re stressed we want a downer – something that’ll relax us and take the edge off.
- When we’re sad or hurting, we want comfort foods – something that’ll make us feel good and forget out troubles.
And thus the door to habits or addictions is opened ever so slightly.
While enjoying a meal or drink is by no means a problem, it can very easy to fall into a habit with certain foods, alcohol or drugs. All of a sudden, and before you realize it, you may be eating fast food every day, smoking at every break, or having 4-5 drinks every night after work.
These habits can take a toll on your body, your mindset, your relationships and your self-esteem.
It can be embarrassing or uncomfortable to realize that even when you try to stop or cut back you end up using again in just a day or two.
Therapy can be incredible helpful for shifting negative habits or addictions.
This includes difficulties with:
- Nicotine (cigarettes, cigars, dip or chew)
- Drugs (marijuana, cocaine, stimulants, and prescription drugs)
- Sex Addiction
- Porn Addiction
- Compulsive Gambling
So often when someone is struggling with one of these issues, there’s so much shame or embarrassment.
It doesn’t have to be this way!
In therapy you can discuss your challenges in an environment that’s completely open and non-judgmental.
The focus is not on how you “should be”, but is on how we can help you create the habits and life that you desire and deserve.
Call Today to Schedule a
Free 30-Minute Consultation: