Fear is your body’s natural alarm system that alerts you to threats and danger.
Sometimes this alarm system goes haywire and signals danger too often and too loudly, without a clear way to turn it off. This is anxiety.
Are You Experiencing Anxiety?
Common signs that you’ve gone beyond basic fear and are experiencing anxiety include:
- Feeling nervous
- Unable to relax
- Difficulty breathing
- Feeling scared
- Fear of the worst happening
- Can’t stop worrying
- Fear of losing control
- Fear of dying
- Feeling terrified or afraid
It’s possible to feel anxiety about the future, relationships, work, finances, and your health.
While worrying is a natural part of life, when you’re unable to stop worrying and your anxiety is taking a toll on your life, it’s important to seek help.
Anxiety Can Be Highly Uncomfortable In And Of Itself.
It can also lead to other problems because of the way we try to manage this feeling. These include:
- Staying continuously busy or overworking
- Using alcohol, drugs, or foods to provide temporary relief
- Avoiding anxiety-provoking situations
- Isolating or withdrawing from others
The problem with these solutions is they’re temporary and don’t provide lasting relief. In addition, they don’t address the underlying causes and can produce additional problems to deal with.
In therapy for anxiety, I focus first on teaching you essential skills to:
- Calm your mind
- Relax your body
- Change overly negative thinking patterns
- Reduce worry and rumination
In addition to learning tools for how to manage your feelings of anxiety, we’ll also explore the underlying causes of your concerns.
Common underlying causes for anxiety can include:
- Poor boundaries
- Lack of assertiveness
- Low self-esteem (viewing yourself poorly)
- Suppression of anger
- Low self-efficacy (lack of belief in your ability to handle problems)
- Physiology – diet/lifestyle
Uncovering and actively addressing these causes allows you to make changes in your life that lead to a greater sense of control, mastery, and effectiveness.
This will allow you to move form a place of merely “managing anxiety” to truly enjoying your life.
Call Today to Schedule a
Free 30-Minute Consultation:
[divider top=”1″ style=”shadow”]